Saturday, May 30, 2009

Back from the City...

So I don't quite know how to explain this. Apparently Singaporeans have these machines in 7-11's where you can get mashed potatoes out of a machine (which you can then top with BBQ sauce). Beats me, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Me and the Merlion



So I made it to downtown and back, although not necessarily alone...

When I walked downstairs most of the group was there, so we made it to the bus stop (I knew where that was, so I would've been okay without them, of course) and got on the 200 bus and took that to the MRT.
Yesterday Nadiah met the group at this nice Thai restaurant after class before we went to the Asian Culture Museum, where we toured a few exhibits on South Asian (India), East Asian (the middle east), West Asian and Chinese culture. The tour was just a little over an hour long, but I plan to go back the museum because there was so much to see! The most memorable artifact was the sheild decorated with human hair from a head-hunting tribe...

There were other interesting things there too, of course. For example, there were the two costumes of two "assitant" God-type things. I think the red one was in charge of listening for lost sailors and the green one was in charge of watching out for rough seas. Either way, they're pretty fun to look at.


After the museum tour we took a boat ride on the Singapore River. We saw the merlion and an ampitheatre shaped like a durian (a local fruit that smells pretty awful, in case I haven't explained). After that the group split up and I went to Orchid Road, a pretty big shopping area with lots of very expensive stores (that I didn't go into).
Today I caught up on some sleep and ate lunch with the group at a vegetarian indian restaurant in China Town. I briefly visiting a small Hindu temple in China Town with a few people before heading indoors (in search of a bathroom), at which point a few people decided to get their feet cleaned by fish that eat dead skin. From what I heard and saw, it was a pretty, uh, terrifying experience...

Later I went to Arab Street and tried the Satay (basically chicken on a stick that you dip in peanut sauce). We also briefly visited a mosque! While I was in the Arab area of town I also tried durian. It was pretty smelly. It tasted a bit like mushy, yellow onions at first, but the more I ate the more it tasted like fruit. I'm still not quite sure what I think.
I hope everyone is well. Let me know how you are! I love hearing from you all.


Allison


1 comment:

  1. oh the museum sounds so cool! alsooo i approve wholeheartedly of the green dress. :)

    ReplyDelete